homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rodents in cars

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rodents in cars
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 16:12:06 -0500

Yes, we should put our collective heads together on this.

We park on an asphalt drive in our carport, so I'm not sure a concrete pad would do anything. Unfortunately I must park under cover because (I failed to mention, Honda Pet Peeve #2) Honda cannot design a car to keep tiny live oak leaves from falling into the space between the windshield and hood and clogging the air conditioning system. I think this is also where the mice get in. Because of the apparent car-rodent problem I decided not to park in the carport (on the edge of a wild creek) last spring when the live oaks drop leaves. So it cost me $500 to have the air conditioning system dismantled and the leaves blown out. (It was then blowing bird seed and crunched leaves). Sigh.

Before the Honda Pilot I drove a Honda Accord station wagon for 13 years (sold it to a neighbor, and it's still going) and had the same issue with mice in the city of Austin where I had a gravel drive. So for me it wasn't just a country problem.

I can attest my husband's econocar Nissan has had no mice or leaf problems, so I'm hoping the Nissan truck won't either, thus allowing me to try Bev's suggestion.

A park ranger friend in Utah had kangaroo mice chew his wires and his engine caught on fire. You are very lucky!

--Sage

On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:49:17 -0500