homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rodents in cars

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rodents in cars
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 14:54:04 -0800

We tried poison and it didn't phase them! We tried finding their burrows and pumping them full of stuff and that didn't work. So we finally got the cats.

The freaking things have brass you know whats. They would come right up on our decks, look us right in the eyes, grab a mouthful of my herbs and then scoot off the deck!

So, last year we got Kahlua and her kitten, Tonks. At first they'd sit up in the oak tree and squawk and chatter everytime the cats went outside. Then Kahlua went up the oak tree <g> This year, not so much as a single ground squirrel to be seen. Down the road, yes. At the neighbor's, yes. Here we're ground squirrel free! Yippee!

Now the gray squirrels don't cause any problems and for whatever reason, the cats and the "blue kitties," as DH and the youngest call them, (they're really a blue color up here) seem to co-exist just fine. However, a little screech owl moved into the oak tree and now the "blue kitties" have moved across the street.

Next are the deer! I'm thinking jerky, sausage, herb stuffed and bacon wrapped roasts. Yup, the gun Son #3 gave DH for his birthday last year is going to be put to good use!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>

A friend has a neighbor who is trying to grow a garden in this time of
rising food prices. They are poisoning the ground squirrels which makes my
friend worried about his dogs. He asked me if I would ask my farmer friend
how to not kill the squirrels. The farmers went off on how many problems
those *&^%*&$ things cause him and how he wishes there was a good way to get
rid of them. He has standing offers to friends with guns that they are
welcome to come shoot ground squirrels at any time.

Don Bowen KI6DIU