homestead - Re: [Homestead] Walmart puts the squeeze on food costs.

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Walmart puts the squeeze on food costs.
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:11:21 -0400

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> On May 29, 2008, at 8:06 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
>
> > So I ain't buyin' the 30% blather.
>
> Nor I.

I haven't set foot in a WalMart in close to two years, and even then it was
only one or two times per year. I was never a WalMart grocery shopper, so I
haven't checked out their prices recently.

Well, I can report that inferior coffee at WalMart costs substantially more
> than superior coffee at Trader Joe's in Phoenix, which is not a place
> where poor families go to buy their groceries.

Based on this, I will happily continue living my life without visits to
WalMart.

> And after viewing the fresh veggie prices I bought not a single thing.
> Has anyone ever seen higher prices for bell peppers? Grow, garden!

For the first time since we've lived here (8 years) the deer got into my
older fenced garden, I lost 3 bell pepper plants a couple days ago. We
repaired or shored up weaker areas of the fence to keep them out until we
can put up a new fence. Hope that does the trick.

Since it's not too late, I'll get another 4-pack and replant those lost
pepper plants. I'll bet peppers are easy to dehydrate. I usually diced and
froze them to put into soups and stews.

Lisa