homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dehydrated veggies and fruit

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dehydrated veggies and fruit
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:44:59 -0800

Strawberries. Dehydrated strawberries ARE candy <g> Melt in your mouth, yummy, yummy, yummy!

I'm also a big fan of drying. I have two cheapie dehydrators that are
commonly found at WallyWorld, and of course, I have drying screens and
also use the oven. I love making jerky-it's my candy. I make almost
all of my own dried herbs and spices. I keep a quart mason jar of dried
onions that I sprinkle into sauces, meatloafs, etc. I also have a
similar jar of garlic and celery powder that I use for seasoning. I grow
my own basil, oregano, thyme, etc., so it is easy. My hint is that
sometimes the size and shape of the fruit/veggie affects the outcome. I
had poor luck drying zuke chips-they just did not taste right when
rehydrated-but good luck drying grated zucchini. I dry my onions in
rings, then crush into smaller pieces. Chunks are harder to powder for
me, for some reason. I love drying stuff. There's no better fruity
snack than dried apples or pears with a bit of cinnamon. (Well, there
probably is, of course!<g>)