homestead - [Homestead] Dehydrated veggies and fruit

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Dehydrated veggies and fruit
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:42:47 -0500

We dehydrate peppers and a lot of other veggies if we can't eat them fast enough. They all make great soup, stew, and casserole additions later. I figure it costs less energy to dehydrate something and keep in on the shelf than in the freezer. We don't have much freezer space anyway, and I don't like the taste of freezer burn. I use a Harvest Maid dehydrator I bought over two decades ago (still works fine). My few attempts at sun dried anything has mostly attracted ants. According to raw food books if you dehydrate something at or below 115 degrees you do not destroy the enzymes. That's what I keep the thermostat set at on it.

I got into dehydrating food because of the lack of vegetarian choices in available backpacking meals. Once I dehydrated an entire watermelon (this took a long, long time) and the contents could fit in half a sandwich bag. It was the best "candy" ever tasted! Broccoli is truly amazing, it rehydrates in a little boiling water to almost its original form. I remember backpacking and eating broccoli with hollandaise sauce (and other wonderful food I'd dehydrated) when others were eating macaroni and cheese. Could have sold my meals for a fortune up on the Continental Divide! The Sierra Club has a great cookbook called Simple Foods for the Pack which is great for ideas of what to do with dehydrated veggies.

We avoid WalMart most of the time, but ocassionally it is unavoidable. It's amazing you can get a soldering iron, veggie burger, and evening bra in one place. Too bad their ethics are so deplorable.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:11:21 -0400
"Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

On May 29, 2008, at 8:06 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

> So I ain't buyin' the 30% blather.

Nor I.

I haven't set foot in a WalMart in close to two years, and even then it was
only one or two times per year. I was never a WalMart grocery shopper, so I
haven't checked out their prices recently.

Well, I can report that inferior coffee at WalMart costs substantially more
than superior coffee at Trader Joe's in Phoenix, which is not a place
where poor families go to buy their groceries.

Based on this, I will happily continue living my life without visits to
WalMart.

And after viewing the fresh veggie prices I bought not a single thing.
Has anyone ever seen higher prices for bell peppers? Grow, garden!

For the first time since we've lived here (8 years) the deer got into my
older fenced garden, I lost 3 bell pepper plants a couple days ago. We
repaired or shored up weaker areas of the fence to keep them out until we
can put up a new fence. Hope that does the trick.

Since it's not too late, I'll get another 4-pack and replant those lost
pepper plants. I'll bet peppers are easy to dehydrate. I usually diced and
froze them to put into soups and stews.

Lisa