homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:28:59 -0400

I grew up in Northern Georgia, and here, a cracker is a racist white person. And I know that there was a time when people took pride in being a Cracker(there was even a baseball team called the Georgia Crackers,I believe), such as Jeff Foxworthy has made it cool to be a redneck, but in the 100 times or so I have heard the term cracker used, it was very negative and derogatory, but you are right about one thing, I think the term originally applied to south Georgians and northern Floridians. I actually thought conchs were south Floridians.

Bev

Robert Walton wrote:
I ain't no freakin' cracker

I know that this was posted for Gene and I'm back to posting on these
politicolo threads, but words are an interesting thing. They mean
different things in different areas of the country. Even the
difference between Georgia and Florida are there. For instance, I grew
up in Florida proud to be a Cracker, because that meant I wasn't a
Conch. Crackers lived inland and Conchs on the coast. Later Cracker
became black slang for a white person.

Not that Obama or any politician should be off the hook, but I think
that all of this fuss over one thing that one person said is in most
cases overkill.

Rob - Va.