homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:36:17 -0800

Why bless your heart, dahlin, I sure did. <g> That would have been when my
mother moved us down to the Bay Area to be near my step-dad who was in the
Navy.

And, my grandfather was born the year after the Civil War ended. March 12,
1866, to be precise.

I said he was born in the 1860s. I didn't say anything about the Civil War. Although I did say something, at one point or maybe two, about that lemon Grant who was posted in Humboldt County and contrary to popular mythology was drummed out of the Army for being a drunk and womanizer. Ya see where ASS Ume gets ya? A severe case of the Leaping Assumptions per chance?

My family is long lived. Grampa died when he was 93. Uncle Billie when he
was 102. Cousin Ernie when he was 101. Uncle Henry when he was 98 and so
forth and so on.

And before your sarcasm gets away with ya again, my grandmother was born in
1892. My mother, born when my grandfather was 62, was a "surprise." 1928,
again, to be exact. Wouldn't want ya to have another go at assuming.

As to the ranch, it was a 160 acre quarter section in Humboldt County that
my great-grandfather homesteaded. One of three quarter sections in Humboldt
County. And another was in Port Angeles, WA. Some of my cousins still
live on the property in Humboldt County and some of my cousins still live in
Port Angeles. The house on the first homestead still stands that he built
in 1870.

You're welcome to check into Humboldt County history. We have a few streets
that carry our name and we own a few cemetaries along with selling the City
of Eureka their first cemetary. All the info is available at the Humboldt
Historical Society along with multiple references in the Humboldt Room at
the Humboldt County Library and in the Susie Baker papers at Humboldt State.

Lynda, who does wish that all these p.s. folks would have learned at least
one lesson in p.s. -- do your homework!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

You had a nanny? Was that on the ranch where you had the grandfather
born during the Civil War?