homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:35:22 EDT

> Not that Obama or any politician should be off the hook, but I think
> that all of this fuss over one thing that one person said is in most
> cases overkill.

I think it would have been had the person said anything else of substance and
not just 'change the changes in order to change the way we change'.

First you had the void in people's understanding of Obama filled with Rev
Wright's Black Liberation Theology. This put people in a mood to look at
Obama
askance to try to see if his distancing himself from all that was genuine or
not. Then even if there was no malice in his thoughts whatever (which is
likely
the case), his choice of words reveals how and what he really thinks. It
makes it look for all the world that he is viewing rural backwoods folk in
the
same pejorative light reflecting from Rev Wright's sermons.

Obama himself gave a speech not much more than a month ago declaring that
"words matter." I find it difficult to view Obama as seeing us as
"clinging" to
guns and religion when those are the words he chose. </HTML>