homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:03:30 -0400

Ok, Gene, you asked me to be specific,...
For me, it's not about imagination, it's about empathy-putting yourself in someone else's shoes.
I find it difficult to understand how you can only take personal offense to something ONLY if it relates to you personally. I take offense when I hear certain racially or ethnically charged words or stereotypes, even though the comments aren't directed to me. Stereotypes are often true, so how does your bias for truth sit with that? If I were ever to visit you in Phoenix, and one of your friends called me a Cracker, I sure hope that you would set them straight that while I may be from Georgia, I ain't no freakin' cracker. (Someone in OR once called me a cracker, thinking it was cute, akin to Peach) Your friend may not even realize he is being offensive or the history of that word, and he may only be joking around, but it is still not acceptable. Or, would you do nothing and remain quiet because you can't relate to that personally? Out of curiosity, would you still remain friends with your neighbor after that, or would you look around for different friends, perhaps one that is not so bigoted/ignorant/prejudiced.

Gene GeRue wrote:

Only if YOU have THAT bias, that take on meaning. How is it deeply offensive to you--he did not refer to someone in your circumstances at all.

I do not have a bias except for truth and I find his remarks discerning and far from offensive. Perhaps it is because I have no way except imagination to closely relate to the people about whom he referred. Perhaps you do.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky