homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:09:48 -0800

My neighbors to the north are Georgia, Northern FL Panhandle transplants. Been here (CA) a lot of years and they still refer to themselves as Crackers. I was surprised because back in the dark ages when I was knee high, my nanny used the word as you describe it. She was black and from Georgia. She is also the first person I ever heard use the word "nigger." She said both with the same tone of voice.

I grew up in Northern Georgia, and here, a cracker is a racist white
person. And I know that there was a time when people took pride in
being a Cracker(there was even a baseball team called the Georgia
Crackers,I believe), such as Jeff Foxworthy has made it cool to be a
redneck, but in the 100 times or so I have heard the term cracker used,
it was very negative and derogatory, but you are right about one thing,
I think the term originally applied to south Georgians and northern
Floridians. I actually thought conchs were south Floridians.