homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:16:56 -0400

To begin, two notes:
- I very seldom participate in political discussions
- It's quite possible that I don't know much at all about this.

But I have a couple of comments:

On Apr 14, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Yet Obama has look(ed) at those things and said "you only CLING to those things
becaue you are politcally frustrated".

It does seem that is what happened. Perhaps it's because campaign speeches need to be simple. Simple ideas, simplified versions of reality, and very simplified versions of the candidates proposed solution: in general "Elect me and We'll fix it.".

... He means that self reliance, our trust in our own courage and ability and
beliefs, is to be replaced by a reliance on HIS form of government.

Oh, if it only could be as simple as that. I'm reminded that when I was born, penicillin was not widely available, perhaps not even heard of. Then it was widely used and did a lot of good. A LOT. More recently, things have gotten a lot more complicated, with the battle between resistant "bugs" and the drugs ever accelerating. Is it the same with social ills and available or promised cures?

Tu wit:
"Oh, I see the hurricane smashed your house. Here, have a trailer to live in."
"OOps. You are getting SICK? Hmmm... Uh oh. Bad trailers."
"So, where is the government agency which regulates housing materials like formaldehyde-based foam insulation?"
"What do you mean, their budget was slashed repeatedly over decades and they don't have any inspectors to monitor the trailer making industry?"

Hmmm... this does get complicated.

I think there are vast gaps between what candidates say in campaigns and the reality they want to be heard as talking about, and later the actual happenings in and outside of government if they get elected. One trouble with so many campaign promises, stated or implied, is that many Uh Murricans believe them. Hooray for those who look behind what's said in speeches.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180