homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:38:41 -0400

Lynda wrote:
My neighbors to the north are Georgia, Northern FL Panhandle transplants. Been here (CA) a lot of years and they still refer to themselves as Crackers. I was surprised because back in the dark ages when I was knee high, my nanny used the word as you describe it. She was black and from Georgia. She is also the first person I ever heard use the word "nigger." She said both with the same tone of voice.

The two words are pretty equal in offensiveness, but I am sure Gene would disagree.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky