homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:41:35 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:
On Apr 13, 2008, at 3:56 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:
Oh, and just by the way, did anyone notice that the only president we
have said publicly that he knew his high-level officials were figuring
out how much torture was acceptable. We used to consider torture a war
crime, not so long ago. Now we ignore it and wonder about the
infelicities of a candidate's speech.

See, here is where I part company with you guys..I'm no Bush fan, trust me on that, but respectfully, do y'all honestly think Bush invented torture?? No, we aren't doing anything now that hasn't been done since time began, probably less of it if the truth were known. What has changed is that now it is in the open, up for discussion. Shedding light on an issue or a problem is always the first step to eliminating that problem. Eventually, they will arrive at what we all know in our hearts,,,,that torture is unreliable for information gathering and that people will say anything to avoid pain, whether it is true or not. I think the fact that we are talking about it publicly shows our weakness-it amounts to a scare tactic to those who might stand against us. The fact that we would even consider torture means that we are at our wits end when it comes to collecting reliable information-we are desperate for inside information; we have found a nut that won't crack. In the Cold War, we used to deny that we committed such acts and called it torture and a war crime when others did it. We've had secret camps and bases for torture for a long, long time, and it is certainly not new to this president or administration. The only thing Bush can take credit for is admitting that it happens and he weakly tries to justify it while the world watches us squirm with it, because either they don't give a sh**, or they are still doing it secretly, too.
In a world where people die in rioting over freaking cartoons and foreign governments demand that we put a leash on our freedoms in order to not be offensive, we damn sure better be discussing what is and isn't torture. Is keeping someone awake for a 3 day interrogation torture? I'll tell ya man, if our government hears chatter about another 911 and has a AlQaida operative in custody, and this guy is known to say, have knowledge of viruses or electronics or bombs or whatever, then what do you propose to do to get his cooperation? Oh, and I certainly don't think anyone is ignoring anything..Amnesty International and other organizations are all over this...

I think we are so eager to jump on the candidates' imperfections because we are so frustrated with the last seven years of ignorance, arrogance and incompetence.

I agree to a point, Gene. We do this during every election. It seems in recent history that presidents have held two terms, and this skews things a bit, so by the time the 7 or 8 years are up, we are totally fed up with the status quo. That's how Clinton was elected to begin with...we were fed up with Reagan Bush legacy. Then after 8 years of Bill's escapades, we decided to give the Republicans another try, and in the last eight years, things have just gotten more and more BITTER due to the fraudulent election<sic> and widespread disillusionment in '04.
Again, nothing new.

Folks, truth is, we Americans
have done about all the bad stuff that we criticize other countries for doing. The rest of the world will remember Abu Ghraib for far longer than we can try to push it out of our minds. The rest of the world will remember the preemptive invasion of sovereign Iraq long after the last US military person has left.

You are exactly right on Abu Ghraib. I'm not sure your conclusions are correct on the invasion, however. I recall that we signed a cease-fire in 1991, not a peace treaty..so it wasn't truly pre-emptive as the conditions of the cease-fire weren't being met.

My hope is for a president with intelligence, who can speak coherently, who sees the advantage of talking to rivals, who has insight on important issues but openly asks for input on all sides, who tries hard to represent all of America, not just the top few percent of income earners. The last seven years have put us in a helluva hole and we have a whole lot of shoring and digging to do.

I hope for that, too, but I also want a president who is tough as nails and who won't placate the enemy with liberal diplomacy-but one who will carry that big stick that Roosevelt talked of..
I don't think any one candidate can ever represent all of America..O-man certainly doesn't, and after his comments, a few more Americans have a bitter taste in their mouths.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky