homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:08:09 -0700

I don't think it's that simple, Don. In context or out of context the message reads pretty much the same. That is: The former way of life based on industrial jobs has been gone for 25 years and Bush and Clinton have promised you that they can bring it back, they can't, but I can." Obama's are not the SAME flawed and failed policies, the are NEW flawed and failed policies. They do not take in the insight and courage to say, "Those jobs are NEVER coming back, no one can make them come back, it's time to do something else entirely, like not consume so much."
Like so many of the problems we are facing today, the solutions will be difficult and our lives will change but all candidates for office will get there only by promising that they have some magic way to preserve it all. Peak Oil? Don't worry we will have some magic solution and we will never talk about what it will cost. Falling economy? Don't worry we will invent a magic program that will let you all live in mcmansions. They do not get elected when they tell the truth and even a small bit of the truth causes problems like this one did.

Don Bowen KI6DIU