homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:19:31 -0500

On Apr 13, 2008, at 3:56 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

Oh, and just by the way, did anyone notice that the only president we
have said publicly that he knew his high-level officials were figuring
out how much torture was acceptable. We used to consider torture a war
crime, not so long ago. Now we ignore it and wonder about the
infelicities of a candidate's speech.

I think we are so eager to jump on the candidates' imperfections because we are so frustrated with the last seven years of ignorance, arrogance and incompetence.

I was reading about the Olympics this morning. Someone made the accurate observation that while we decry what China is doing with Tibet, we have a well-known history of having dispossessed the myriad peoples who were here for centuries. Folks, truth is, we Americans have done about all the bad stuff that we criticize other countries for doing. The rest of the world will remember Abu Ghraib for far longer than we can try to push it out of our minds. The rest of the world will remember the preemptive invasion of sovereign Iraq long after the last US military person has left.

My hope is for a president with intelligence, who can speak coherently, who sees the advantage of talking to rivals, who has insight on important issues but openly asks for input on all sides, who tries hard to represent all of America, not just the top few percent of income earners. The last seven years have put us in a helluva hole and we have a whole lot of shoring and digging to do.