homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama fans, what say ye?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:22:59 -0400

> I don't think it's that simple, Don. In context or out of context the
> message reads pretty much the same. That is: The former way of life
> based on
> industrial jobs has been gone for 25 years and Bush and Clinton have
> promised you
> that they can bring it back, they can't, but I can." Obama's are not the
> SAME
> flawed and failed policies, the are NEW flawed and failed policies. They
> do
> not take in the insight and courage to say, "Those jobs are NEVER coming
> back,
> no one can make them come back, it's time to do something else entirely,
> like
> not consume so much."

James, no-one that wants to win the presidency or most any other
office could ever come out and say something so realistic as that.
People are much too small minded and unrealistic to ever accept that.
Doesn't mean it's not right. It's a tough pill to swallow and as long
as people have a choice in their pills, they are never going to accept
that.

> None the less, in context or out, Obama is saying "The only reason you
> people
> are supporting gun rights and are involved in religion is because 'You've
> never had a friend like me (the Genie in Disney's 'Aladin')."

I don't think that is what he said. He said that people are bitter
because they have been left behind and cling to guns or religion as a
reason to explain their frustration. I think that he made a poor
choice of words, using "cling" and "bitter". I believe that he also
meant the issues over guns or religion.

But, I'm not here to speak for Barack Obama, let's let him get out of this
one.

Rob - Va