homestead - [Homestead] Amish on the roads was: Beer for my Horses

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Amish on the roads was: Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:50:49 -0700

The relatively low speed limit is because it is not a freeway-- there are many roads bisecting it, some with stop lights, some not.
One of those scenes from my travels I will not forget is one along that road just outside Springfield. At one of those stop light cross roads, an obviously Amish man pulled up in a big Ford farm tractor towing a cattle trailer. He had the dark clothing, suspenders, hat and full beard.

A little later at an antique tractor show in Mt Pleasant Iowa I saw an Amish family showing a well restored early 20s Hart Parr.

My cousin took me to a little town that was mostly Amish and Mennonite. The little store there had the best cheeses and on the way out I picked up a package of Shortbread Cookies. They were so good that I have to go back there and get more. When we walked out a Mennonite family (my cousin told me they were Mennonite but they dressed very much like the Amish in the area) were unloading a Chevy van with every bit of chrome either removed or painted the same white as the body.

The little grocery store on the edge of Canton, MO (where my cousin lives) has a sun shade with water and feeding trough for its Amish customers. To get there they must navigate some narrow roads and there are many accidents. His son operated a shop just west of town near a sharp curve, He says that there have been several horses hit there by speeding drivers.

Don Bowen KI6DIU