homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:33:12 -0800

Gene, driving a horse is not pertinent. She could just as easily have hit a person in a car with the same results. Happens all the time but no one warns folks off the road with their car.

You can't ride/drive horses on 101 in Sonoma County but we road/drove them all over 12, Bodega Hwy, Gravenstein Hwy and other roads in Windsor, Petaluma and Santa Rosa. The amount and type of traffic dictated whether we road or drove.

We've ridden/driven them on 101 in Humboldt County because it goes back to being a highway and is no longer considered a freeway (they are legal on highways, illegal on freeways). Of course, the drivers are used to bicycles, walkers and horses, well, and elk since there is even an elk crossing <g>, up there and a couple of the bridges even have special stoplights to stop the traffic until the non-car traffic is off the bridges.

However, car or horse or bicycle doesn't make much difference when other people do dangerous things when behind the wheel.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

When the grandsons were visiting two years ago we were returning from
a day at Branson. Suddenly the traffic stopped. A few cars ahead and
off to the side I could see the demolished wagon. A horse was standing
there, favoring one leg. Men were huddled in a small group, apparently
making a decision. I had mixed feelings having the grandsons watching
as a man walked over to the horse and shot it.

Checking the news the next day I learned that an elderly woman had
dozed off while driving and her car swerved and hit the wagon. The
article stated that the driver of the wagon was in critical condition.

All of this is to say that I am very empathetic to those who seek to
diminish motor vehicle use, but would urge all--as James has done
above--to seriously consider the very real danger of driving horses
along a highway. A wagon offers zero protection from a one-to-three-
ton car or truck moving at legal speeds and above, the drivers in
various conditions of skill and wakefulness.