homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:45:43 EDT

> All of this is to say that I am very empathetic to those who seek to
> diminish motor vehicle use, but would urge all--as James has done
> above--to seriously consider the very real danger of driving horses
> along a highway

An alternative we have discussed is packing. One rider with one or two pack
animals could go to town without getting on any paved road until they arrived
at I-81 on the Virginia side of things where there is a Mart, gorcery, two
hardware/buiders, a seed-n-feed, two autoparts, etc. Still not 100% safe
(what
is?) but far, far safer than wheeled vehicles sharing the road with all and
sundry.

Of course, as horse trips the 20 miles to "civilization" become possible
because of sharply rising fuel prices, who knows what will be there? </HTML>