homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 21:29:06 -0400

Marie McHarry wrote:
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

The shoulders of the roadway were specifically widened for the buggy
drivers.
Near Arthur, Illinois, where there is a large Amish population, there
is a buggy track along side of the state highways.
Actually, on a serious note, most places where numbers of buggies (whether Amish/Mennonite/Breithren) use the public roads, there has been a right-side addition so that buggies can drive off to the right at least a half lane, so cars can speed along without impediment. It also helps prevent grooving of the highways, which is pretty hard on motorcylists. Eastern PA, where they depend on the Amish for a large part of their tourism 'charm', is about the only place I know where there are high numbers of buggies duking it out with traffic. (But hey, that's why they get hydraulic brakes and electric windshield wipers on their buggies!). It does help, but certainly doesn't, as Gene noted earlier, prevent some very serious accidents.

In fact, I spent 2 months last summer providing nursing care to the daughter of a friend who was in a buggy, at night,properly lit, stopped at a stop sign by a busy road (Allen County, IN). Six kids in the buggy, singing hymns as they went home from an evening of hymn-singing, saw nothing coming. Proceeded across, were hit. Julie has serious brain damage; the rest somehow were thrown free and will recover from some fairly serious injuries. Was a mystery until the aunt of the person who hit them let the cat out of the bag: the person who hit them was driving without headlights.
There is no protection from fools, common sense/laws/no matter.

Susan Jane