homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:22:50 -0500

On Apr 12, 2008, at 8:15 PM, SJC wrote:

Gene GeRue wrote:

The shoulders of the roadway were specifically widened for the buggy
drivers.

Most roads are wide enough for a buggy, Gene... :-)
Are you sure these shoulders weren't widened so that cars could go at
their accustomed pace while the buggies used the road?

This is a divided highway--two lanes each way--with a speed limit of 60 mph. The relatively low speed limit is because it is not a freeway-- there are many roads bisecting it, some with stop lights, some not. The highway shoulders both before and after the area of heavy buggy use are much narrower. It appears to me that the buggy travel area shoulders are not only wider, but they are more level. They are heavily used by the horse buggies.