homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer for my Horses
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:08:37 -0500

On Apr 12, 2008, at 6:47 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

We could park the truck now as far
as horse and equipment go. But taking the rig on the highway out of here (US
421) would be suicide. Cars and trucks tear along it at riduculous speeds
with no heed at what might be around the next bend or over the next rise.

During the last forty miles or so on up to Springfield, Missouri from Heartwood along Highway 60 there are many Amish farms. It is common to see their horse buggies rolling along the edge of the highway. The highway department has even widened the shoulder area to accommodate them.

When the grandsons were visiting two years ago we were returning from a day at Branson. Suddenly the traffic stopped. A few cars ahead and off to the side I could see the demolished wagon. A horse was standing there, favoring one leg. Men were huddled in a small group, apparently making a decision. I had mixed feelings having the grandsons watching as a man walked over to the horse and shot it.

Checking the news the next day I learned that an elderly woman had dozed off while driving and her car swerved and hit the wagon. The article stated that the driver of the wagon was in critical condition.

All of this is to say that I am very empathetic to those who seek to diminish motor vehicle use, but would urge all--as James has done above--to seriously consider the very real danger of driving horses along a highway. A wagon offers zero protection from a one-to-three- ton car or truck moving at legal speeds and above, the drivers in various conditions of skill and wakefulness.