homestead - Re: [Homestead] Iraq..was Ralph Nader enters presidential race

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Iraq..was Ralph Nader enters presidential race
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:25:41 -0500

paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

It was McCain who agreed he'd keep us in Iraq for the next thousand years.

It's realistic. No matter how much we would like to say we would leave 100%, lock, stock, and barrel, it just wouldn't happen, regardless of who is sitting in the Oval Office. Exclude Iraq and look back at US history. By almost all accounts, we lost the Vietnam war, but more importantly, we gave the appearance of losing by retreating 100%. We retreated from Lebanon, and this too, was seen as a defeat. Whether we actually win or lose, I personally think it is more important how the action is perceived in the Islamic world. In every other war or conflict that we've 'participated' in, we have left a permanent presence. We are still in Korea 50 years later. We are still in Germany, we are still in the Philippines, Guantanamo, etc.
Like it or not, I think McCain was just injecting a dose of reality into the minds of simpletons who think we could just pull out and consider the whole thing a bad dream. I'm pretty sure that Obama and Clinton realize that we would be leaving a presence- a base there, too. I think Clinton may have even mentioned it in one the the debates, IIRC.

Aside from all of that, I agree that we should keep a base or two in Iraq. You can look at it as the lesser of two evils...It would show a presence, maintain a course of support for the new government(so they can't say later we abandoned them) and give the 'insurgents' something else to focus on. It would also keep friendly neighbors like Turkey from invading and going after the Kurds. It would be an increasing opportunity for better relations between our cultures. You can't find tolerance and understanding if you are not in close living quarters. The most important reason(not to me, but to our government I think), however, is to provide a platform for a war against Iran and or China and Russia. It will happen eventually you know. I hate to think about it as it scares me, but it is definitely going to happen, and probably a lot sooner than most people think. When the Bourse starts, if the bombs don't fall, down goes the economy, transportation and all. :) And of course, it only takes one bomb in Iran to start WWIII. This time, it truly will begin as a fight over oil, but will evolve into a fight over ideologies. I might even go so far as to say that I believe that invading Iraq was more motivated by those who are preparing for war with Iran and China, than those who were looking for oil or Osama or just didn't like Hussein. That's the real perjury and crime.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky