homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: Mjkoaktreecottag AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 20:54:23 EST

Calumet is one aluminum free BP that is readily available, or at least it
was up until my favorite store for such things closed.
My " Little Egypt" (Southern Illinois) grandma, made her own hominy from
their field corn using drip-lye (processed from wood ashes) until baby #5
arrived and grandpa hired her a wash lady, who also made the hominy every
fall.
About that time, they started using commercial lye from the general store
for
the hominy and also their soap. Mama said that the hominy making was
unpleasant because they did it after the weather was pretty cold, outside
near their
only water source--the old well. I don't know why they waited for cold
weather
because I tried it once in Oct. (in my VA weather it's not very cold then)
and it turned out OK, but with hauling water, it wasn't easy.
Mama grew up eating only very young field corn as fresh corn brcause sweet
corn seed wasn't readily available until she was nearly grown. They also
used
this corn to be ground for cornmeal although now I understand that a dent
corn is better. A neighbor had his own cane mill and they used his cane
syrup
instead of molasses on many things, including the corn bread and biscuits
grandma made every day. However, they bought [awful !] white store bread as
she
was a believer in that saying about store bought bread! She'd wonder that
her grand-daughter mainly makes dark bread ! One of my favorites is a mixed
rye, wheat,
and corn bread sweetened with molasses that's similiar to the New England
Anadama Bread.
My corn bread is made with a tad of sugar because my husband is Pa German,
so if I don't he'll drown it in syrup. (I make my tomato sauce without sugar
and he dumps it on top at the table!) A good corn cake I make is a basic
corn
bread recipe with some sugar or honey, grated carrots, and chopped nuts
added
that I bake either in a skillet or in a seasoned flower pot saucer that i
use only for bread, etc.
maggie