homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 05:43:52 -0800

Haven't seen the recipe. Can you send it here?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Mjkoaktreecottag AT aol.com>

Lynda~
I bake corn bread, gingerbread, and assorted other old recipes in my
cast iron bake-kettle (Dutch oven to camp fire cooks) on the fireplace hearth,
just as my Scotch-Irish anscestor would have, at the Living History Farm
where I volunteer as a historic site interpreter. When they don't burn, which I
am getting better at preventing, they have a wonderful flavor.
At home, I often bake like my grandmother in my cast iron skillets in my
oven. I will try some of my favorites on the stove top in the iron skillets
along with some sent in response to the query. However, I'm wishing for a gas
stove again as I don't like the electric that I inherited--it's easier to
control the gas burners. There was a wonderful sounding Dutch oven/deep cast
iron pan bread recipe from the NY Times that was going round this year, but I
found it in the heat of summer, so deferred trying it till fall. It may be
time to try it now as we are finally getting some cooler days--as soon as I
find my recipe! Has any one made this bread?
maggie