homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:03:16 EST

> I use our Country Living Mill to convert wheat berries into pizza and
> bread flour. I believe I have to buy a different set of steel burrs
> to grind corn. Not interested in stone burrs. I want my teeth to last
> as long as I do.

Of course, they aren't real stone. It's a composite substance. I used a set
of them on a Corona mill for several years and there is no wear detectable on
them. Nor my teeth.

Corn is much harder than wheat and, like you, I wouldn't use the wheat burrs
for corn. The best mills for corn (best stones and best burrs) don't crush
the corn like a mortar and pestle, but rather they shear off tiny flakes.
</HTML>