homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:21:06 EST

Having just got up from a homestead supper (roasted rooster, spinach, snap
peas, Jersey milk, and ... of course .... glorious cornbread ... all from the
homestead), I wanted to comment on the idea of recipes for corn bread.

As the Sade song said, I'd look on them as "no place to be ending, but some
place to start... ..... it's a smooth bowl of batter ......smooooooth bowl of
batter...." Or was it "smooth apple butter ...." gotta pay more attention
those lyrics.

Anyway, cornmeal is a dynamic foodstuff. The best real living cornmeal will
vary greatly in its moisture content, fineness of grind, starch to protein
ration, and a lot of other things. How much stuff you put in it will vary.
Better, says I, is to develop a 'batter sense'. How does the spoon feel when
you
are stirring it? How does it fall from the spoon? If it glops off like wet
sand, it is too dry. If it pours in a continuous stream from the spoon, it
is
too wet.

Have established in your mind how that cone of salt in your palm affects that
quantity of meal, how an egg affects the bread (usually makes it rise more),
how the bread is affected by the heat and quantity of the oil or fat. For
example, most recipes I've seen call for way too much baking soda. 1/8th of
teaspoon will raise a huge pone if the proper acid is used with it. The acid
in
our case is almost always buttermilk.

I suppose that my comments are less germane with commercial meal over which a
great deal of bother has been expended to make them consistent. But they
still apply to an extent. </HTML>