homestead - Re: [Homestead] gas prices

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gas prices
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 05:35:59 -0700

On Jun 7, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Marie McHarry wrote:

It may be a flash in the pan because
as is well known (I've been reading too much Alexander McCall Smith
lately) you can't keep growing a crop on soil after it's depleted.

And that is something overlooked by the Pollyannas who say we can turn trees or any crop into IC energy. Some feel the ever-faster- growing hybrids will do the trick. I don't think so. Just as virgin forests (first cut) were bigger and better trees, so grains and grasses extract minerals and micronutrients from the soil. If all that is taken out by the plants is not replenished, then the harvest diminishes. The only free input is sun and rain.