homestead - Re: [Homestead] gas prices

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gas prices
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 21:26:45 -0800

Since there really is no such animal as "a" temperate climate, that isn't something to judge by.

For what we were talking about, we don't need the largest growing because we aren't going to be making rope. I can get, at minimum, two crops from the 90-110 day crop in the area I live now. For starters, it is a crop you start indoors/greenhouse and that means it needs a mere 60 to 75 days in the ground.

In areas such as where I just moved from, you can easily, and I do mean easily, get 3 crops per year. There are tons of areas in the U.S. where 3 crops or even 4 are possible.

And you do have the added advantage that this is one of those crops that doesn't deplete the soil but rather is a soil builder.

Will it cure all our problems, again no. The biggest problem in the U.S. is that far too many people who could easily get a gig on Letterman in a Stupid People tricks segment instead of Stupid Animal tricks. Or give people pause to hand out one more "here's your sign."

People need to conserve, people need to figure out that it is really painless to shut off that light when they leave the room, that you don't need to turn on the forced air heating when the temps dip below 70 but rather put on a sweater, don't need to turn on the air conditioning when the temps get above 70 but rather use a fan, take better care of their vehicles, plan so they don't have to head off to the store daily for a quart of milk, etc., etc., etc.

Change of habits and getting over the ignorance of "OMG hemp is weed" and we would be 90% of the way to self-sufficiency in this country.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

As may be for all I know. I do know that you can't in a temperate climate.

There are several species of industrial hemp. The largest growing (longest
fibers) takes from 150 to 170 days to mature to seed so it won't grow at all in
most temperate regions. The type that yields the most oil matures to seeds
in 90 to 110 days so you could get one crop in temperate climates.