homestead - Re: [Homestead] gas prices

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gas prices
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 17:07:43 EDT

> Small problem with your calculations. You get 3 to 4 crops per year per
> acre with hemp. Hemp does quite nicely once started with little or no
> water
> or fertilizer.

I don't want to appear too familiar with its cultivation, but you can get 3
to 4 crops a year if you don't let it fully mature to seed and are growing it
for ... uh ... other purposes. And the type of yields one hears bandied
about
in excess of 100 gallons per acre of oil are not accomplished with little or
no fertilizer or water.

Our 'fuel' crop here is field corn, fuel for us and draft animals. It is OP
corn which gets only a little manure as fertilizer and althought it is waist
high and deep enough green, it hasn't had a drop of rain in five weeks. I
might say based on this that corn does quite well with little or no
fertilizer or
water. It does, so long as we are content (and we are) to get 1/3rd to 1/4th
the yield per acre that fields with high inputs of energy realize.

Same with hemp. It will indeed grow with little inputs and little care, much
less than corn. But the yields will be proportionally modest as well.
</HTML>