homestead - Re: [Homestead] gas prices

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gas prices
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:00:38 -0700

At 6/7/2007, you wrote:
But it would take far less motor and battery to propel a bike with a
small trailer than even the smallest electric car.

I built an electric assist bike last year. It uses a 600W hub motor and a 36V 12 Ah battery pack. With that and the hills around here it goes about 10-15 miles. With less me and smaller tires it could go maybe 20 miles. I am thinking of restoring a 1980 Commutta-Car Postal Van. With modern golf cart batteries it would have a range of maybe 40-50 miles, less with a load. Pictures are in my journal.

The question about restoring it spins around money. 12 batteries at around $80 each adds up and it would more than likely need major rewiring and conversion to a modern controller. Throw in hard to find brake parts and $100 tires and it becomes an issue.

I figured that the payback would be on the order of 2 years.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.