homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:13:26 -0400

I've never eaten in a restaurant or made rellenos w/o the cheese stuffed
inside! Just today, while accompanying my DH to his VA appt., we ate at
a Mexican store/eatery and found the food there very authentic....like we
always had in our CA lives. We feel so at home around the Mexicans, it's
almost comedic! Growing up around that whole culture and then seeing
NONE of it where we now live is so weird. Here, they do not
automatically bring hot sauce to a gringo's table when ordering - and
seemed surprised when i ask for the hottest ones. Folk here do not fancy
chilihead foods,
We must make our own such weekly, if we want to live like we were
accustomed in the previous life!
Here is a great hot sauce recipe that we make often, and vary with
different vinegars and peppers. Wonderful and easy. Got it from an
Uncle Dave on the Chilihead list. If you like hot sauce, give it a try.
It is simply made from dried chilis, garlic, canning salt and vinegar.
We love garlic, but use about half as much in our blends. Sometimes,
Balsamic and cider vinegar mixed, wine or champagne vinegars........it
works no matter what.
Toni in KY
*****************
Yaaaaahhhh Hooooooo Aaaaahhhh Hot Sauce

Yield: 1 Quart

1 qt Mason jar
1 tb Salt; plain
1 pt Chiles; dried Serrano, Cayenne, Tabasco, etc.
1 pt Garlic cloves; peeled
Distilled white vinegar

Fill the Mason jar with the dried chiles and peeled garlic.
Dissolve the tablespoon of salt in a cup of white vinegar and
pour over the chiles and garlic. Top up the jar with more
vinegar and put the jar in a low traffic area to let the
chilies rehydrate for a few weeks. Add vinegar as needed to
keep the jar full.

After a few weeks empty the contents of the jar into a blender
or food processor and puree. Add vinegar (or water) to get to
your desired thickness. I like mine to be fairly thick (like
catsup with an attitude) instead of runny like Tabasco. As
there is plenty of vegetable pulp in this mix, thick is easy.

You can decant into smaller bottles or keep in the quart jug.
I have kept some in the ice box for as long as five weeks with
no ill effects. I can't seem to get it to last any longer than
that. Apparently the longer it sits in the ice box the more of
it disappears.

This is a moderately successful attempt to make my own "Huy Fong
Sriracha Sauce". It's more garlicky than Huy Fong and moderately
spicy and goes well on almost anything. Which, I suspect is why
I have never had a batch last more than five weeks.

Devised, made. tested, named and approved in Uncle Dirty Dave's
Kitchen. In the heart of the Great American Outback.

MM Format and Recipe by Dave Drum - 23 February 1998

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!