homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:58:35 EST

> What's the matter, Grumpy, woke up this morning and smelled the
> campfire of a new squatter?

No, not this time, but for sure that would have done it.

This is my observation about living on the fringes, and this place is a
fringe as the only thing east of here are very high steep mountains:

The house is far from the road and neither can see each other, to the relief
of both. But the garden is in view of the road and since I spend long
stretches of time there, it's easy to keep a casual count of the goings on.

Other 'holler' dwellers have fallen into a modern mode of thought and hop in
the vehicle (8 cyl pick up as often as not) and to 20 miles into town six
times a day, separate trips for frozen pizza, beer, smokes, pick up the kids,
etc.
When gas got $3/gal that stopped abruptly. One fellow actually working was
seen going by in a tiny coup instead of his 4x4. Traffic was blissfully
sparce. Two families moved out (the places are still empty - rentals they
were).

Then gas dipped to nearly $2 a gallon and the traffic picked up once more.

It was instructive as to what the breaking point was. I am guessing as to
what the effects of realy long term motor fuel above $3 or $4 a gallon will
have
on rural living. For those of us who basically stay put, we can minimize the
effect. But those dependent on going out every day, or simply can't abide
any other lifestyle, I'm wondering how many will choose to remain living
"out".