homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:30:21 -0600

On 12/17/06, tonitime AT juno.com <tonitime AT juno.com> wrote:
We are going to have everyone
back in these hollars salivating, drinking milk, and have chili-enhanced
immune systems for the winter ;-) They just don't know how much they
need these things for better soup beans 'roun heah!!

Good on you. If you can raise anchos, I can too with hoop house
support. With global warming we may all, even in Minnesota which is
many zones north of me, be raising anchos, if we have water for them.
Our recent droughts have been devastating, and I am just a few miles
south of the Great Mahomet Aquifer that supplies water to much of
central Illinois.

Mother was right when she walked over my homestead and wondered why
anybody would even plant a garden. OTOH, she was knocked off her feet
by the thick-walled sweet peppers that I grew and continue to grow on
this rich soil (and she even said so out loud where everyone could
hear her).

Marie