homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:13:30 -0500

Hi Marie,
I've grown the Ancho/Poblanos here for the last 5 years, and only
gotten them to ripe red one of those years. Some will turn after being
picked and waiting a week or two - but very few. I do love their flavor!
I made enough dehydrated reds and powder that year to last several
years, so hope we are in for another good ripening year before too long.
I have gotten my Thai, Banana, some Jalapenos, and Squash Peppers to
ripen to color - but it isn't so for many varieties.

We are making some holiday HOT Sauces for gifts, along with prepared
Horseradish, Chile Powder Mix, and our homemade Garlic Powder (made from
19 types of garlic i am driven to grow). We are going to have everyone
back in these hollars salivating, drinking milk, and have chili-enhanced
immune systems for the winter ;-) They just don't know how much they
need these things for better soup beans 'roun heah!!
Toni