homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:02:52 -0800

O.K., I'm confused. Lynda's VERY short growing season is in
California and the huge slugs, world famous, I might add, that I was
complaining about are also from California.

Hmmmm, I don't remember any of my step-daddy's cousins only eating
cornbread, brown beans and grits when we visited them in TN. I do remember
that was the first time I ate bear (yummy in a stew with dumplings, turnips,
rutabagas, red potatoes and smoothered with onions). I got the recipe
for the apple cobbler, which I still use, only I use English walnuts, not
black walnuts because they are hard to get up here. Oh, and breakfast was
really yummy. We had buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup, sausage patties
and strawberries and cream from the cows we milked that morning.

Now, if you want to talk about bugs, ask Toni about the size of the skeeters
where she used to live in California. I'll bet y'all thought those were
helicopters that we had flying around out here <g>

And ya really don't want to send folks to California, <<eg>> folks out here eat lots of really weird things like sushi and calamari and tripe and truffles. Why for breakfast you just might find them drinking wheat grass!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

(Toni)
Even after 6 growing seasons in Kentucky, i will never get used to losing
90 days growing season

(Lynda)
The things I don't miss are the snails and slugs. For whatever reason,
we
don't have any up here.

Folks, please listen to Toni and Lynda. If you are looking for a
homestead,
don't ... repeat . DON't... move to Appalachia! They are right. The
growing
season is too short, the area is infested with slugs the size of
squirrels,
the people only eat cornbread and brown beans and grits and nothning else,
hmmmm
.... lot's of other really bad stuff.

Move to California. Don't even remotely think about moving to
Appalachia!

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.