homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:56:35 -0700

Move to California. Don't even remotely think about moving to Appalachia!

What's the matter, Grumpy, woke up this morning and smelled the campfire of a new squatter?

I lost count of the many radio interview call-ins who told me I was ruining the Ozarks by telling people that I chose it as my ideal country home. My response was that I warned people about ticks, chiggers, no-see-ums, mosquitos, rattlesnakes, copperheads, poison ivy, tornadoes, thunderstorms, ice storms, radical weather change in minutes, rocky ground, and remoteness from civilization. Occasionally I mentioned the movie, "Deliverance," but only if the radio station was far distant from Missouri.

Paranoia is often a healthy condition, but people in general overestimate the influence of an author. I know of fewer than ten people who have moved to the Ozarks after reading my book. Of course they are superior human beings and fully deserve the sublime life there.

If not, they will soon leave. It all works out.