homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big basil and other features of a hot climate
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:18:14 -0800 (PST)

I see the small towns growing out ie: sprawl just like
the cities. I expect in a generation the new
development dependant on auto transportation will
become unusable as auto fuel becomes too expensive.
Perhaps that will bring a little business back to
small towns if people can't drive the 30 miles to
Walmart.
If population continues to grow I'm sure we will
regret having taken so much farmland out of production
due to suburban development.
I liked country as a child when much life was still
centered on the nearest small town, and there were
enough small farms that there were neighbors close.
I also liked the city, had the privilege of living in
several small cities during the 60s when everything
was within walking distance downtown.
I'm afraid that now rural and urban lifestyles are
watered down. Both being supplanted by a suburban
lifestyle, but in "rural" areas the distances are
longer.