homestead - [Homestead] Ramble on Christmas rush/ideas

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Ramble on Christmas rush/ideas
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:43:15 -0500

Are any of you in or near holiday panic mode? This is the beginning of the
big week. We mail 15 packages to parents (3), siblings (4), grandparents (3)
and aunts/uncles (5). We could eliminate the aunts, and knock it back by 1/3
to 10 packages, but 3 of the 5 send gifts and I'm close to the two that
don't and we don't send much cost-wise. We receive several nice comments
every year on our boxes. Would like to draw names, I keep suggesting but no
one is interested. Sending mostly our own baked goods. Trying hard to go
lightweight and making beef jerky (for the men), roasted tamari pumpkin
seeds, chocolate truffles (new this year, for the women) other things we
might include: a box of tea (grandparents/aunts), a sm. bar of locally made
goat's milk soap, local handmade earrings (cheap) for my mom, husband's mom
and sister, that sort of thing. The time and energy it takes to bake and put
together boxes is more every year, or so it seems. I (mostly) enjoy doing
it, but it is overwhelming when there are also cards to mail and daily life
to get through. I started after Thanksgiving, losing power for 24 hours last
Friday didn't help. Gone all day yesterday at our town's parade (oldest son
participated w/h.s. marching band and our foster client rode w/ the rescue
squad)--and party afterwards w/ provider agency. Last year I brought up a
thread of what homesteaders do for Christmas gifts, would love to discuss
this again especially with those of you who have relatives all over the map
and still exchange or like to exchange something. We may convert to gift
cards. We've done lightweight throws (i.e.small blankets), books (mailed
early w/ media mail for less cost) and other stuff instead of or to
supplement some baked goods.

Trying mainly to focus on my list and stay calm, taking a breath. To give
the ADD (of if this, too, is a bogus condition James, then my own natural
scattered, unorganized and unfocused at times self ;) ) permission to sit on
the back burner for the next two weeks.

Our tree has been up since the 26th with lights but not decorated. I'm the
one that decorates after husband puts it in the tree stand, sometimes my
youngest son helps. So far I've made a pan of no-cook chocolate peanut
butter fudge and gingerbread cookie dough (ready to roll out and cut into
little stars and people).

Lisa