homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 18:56:21 -0800

Ah geez, and here we were going along so well <g>

Dyslexia is not tested for by appling "baseless age norms to a narrow definition of academic skills." Dyxlexia has nothing to do with age related anything. That may be the "in" way that schools are using to get more IDEA money but a good medical professional isn't going to use that method.

Learning styles different between humans and neurological processing differs between various humans. So, while dyslexia is, in part, a learning style, it isn't only a learning style but is also a visual and neurological problem.

And, yes, I agree that it is way over diagnosed and schools should get out of the diagnosing business. However, that doesn't negate the reality of a problem that "some" folks have.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Dyslexia is and entirely fabricated and bogus "condition". It doesn't exist.
The illusion is created by applying baseless age norms to a narrow defintion
of academic skills. Schooling fails a great many children and the likes of
'dyslexia' is the scapegoat excuse for that failure.