homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mind/Food Security

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mind/Food Security
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:27:33 -0600

Lynda wrote:
Ah, James or Denise, you're talking p.s. folks. They are trained to raise their hands to ask to go to the bathroom, for crying out loud.
LOL. I remember one previously homeschooled student saying, "You mean he won't know I'm leaving the room if I don't raise my hand? Or that I might not know what he was doing well enough to pick an appropriate time to go? Can I go at breaks?" He couldn't get the logic. Guess he'd been around adults enough to know they don't do that.
We had a student point out recently she felt it was disrespectful to have to raise their hands in class in a discussion because it inferred they don't listen to each other and instead wait a turn to recite a response and that is not actually a discussion. The student felt they would be better served if they required good conversation skills of each other instead. It took a while for the "teacher" to understand. We're talking about a GOOD teacher, but I had to repeat it for the student before the teacher heard it in the adult/mature voice necessary to hear and get it. As one who goes to many other town school board meetings and watches "grownups" doing the same, I understand. How much change can I as an individual be expected to affect if the adults are still so programmed that the government will dole out their safety, security, livelihood, opportunities and their justice? Nobody is looking at what education the government doles anymore than what security.
We have a state curriculum portrayed in the media as a "standard to make all schools equally good." It requires not only children jump thru corporate hoops of "progress" but mandates we fire or "retrain" teachers who will have access to the students to jump thru similar corporate hoops. Like how else can we get enough people willing to oppress children, only allow oppressed teachers. We've lost 3 excellent ones already simply because they do not believe their success as a teacher is measured by scoring a certain amount on standardized tests (costing an additional $200/year each.) The tests only test their ability to buy in/compliance with test$ as an evaluation of education.

Kathyann