homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:26:42 -0600

On 11/18/06, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

mmcharry AT gmail.com writes:
> Children don't get that from
> > nothing.
Actually, Gene wrote that, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Another view of things says that they well might. Much of modern society,
especially the education system, works by breaking people's legs, giving them
crutches, and then taking credit for them being able to walk.

I knew I shouldn't get involved in this discussion, but I have. This
is what happens when harvest is over and the workers have a chance to
sit back and comment.

That is such a profound over-generalization that I can't decide quite
how to address it. Millions have gone through public schools and come
through with their ability to live a useful life intact. Yes, public
schools are not perfect, but they are one of the few public
institutions that remain under local control (and, yes, I'm aware of
NCLB because I work with it every day). If public schools are messed
up it's because the communities that support them are messed up. They
are also one of the only venues that children who come from
dysfunctional families can make any progress and see that life as they
know it at home is not the norm.

Schools are famous for being factories for robots who will occupy work
stations in future factories. They can only be that when the community
agrees and supports the mission. Since we all have the right of free
speech (at least this week so far as I've heard), if you don't like
the status quo, you're free to change it in your community. Have you?

Marie