homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:00:48 EST

In a message dated 11/18/2006 6:40:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mmcharry AT gmail.com writes:

> Children don't get that from
> > nothing.

Another view of things says that they well might. Much of modern society,
especially the education system, works by breaking people's legs, giving them
crutches, and then taking credit for them being able to walk. What if you
worked just to prevent society (and education!) from robbing children of
their
self esteem to begin with and then doling it back to them in measures to the
advantage of industry and government and not to the benefit of the child.

> Statistics back Gene up. The best thing that you can do to assure your
> future success in life is to choose to be born into a middle or upper
> class family. To reach a healthy old age, choose to be born to healthy
> people who come from a line of long-lived people.

Maybe but it would be impossible to determine for sure. Genetics is the
modern day astrology viewed by its adherents and apologists and explaining
absolutely everything. Sure, people in families who are healthy and long
lived seem
to be that way themselves. But is it habits or genes that are passed along?

At any rate, you can't do anything about your genes. You can only do things
about your choices. I know many a person who swills the soda and twinkies
and when their endocrine system wears out and they are in type 2 diabetes
with
high blood pressure, and it is suggested to them that some better food and
exercise might improve their lot, they say, "Naaaaa ... my father had this
condition and so did my grandfather so you see there's nothing whatever I can
do
about it."

People actually believe that genetics determines their lot to such an extent
that it kills them.