homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:44:45 +0000 (America/Los_Angeles)

Van Dell -
It occurred to me some time ago that welfare mothers with small children
could be
freed up for work if the child care were turned over to the high schools,
where
pregnant teens who are still in school could learn child care under the
supervision of a qualified teacher. I guess in the 'old days' (I'm harking
back),
this would be part of what used to be Home Economics. Not just the basic
babysitting...I mean it would include hygiene (for both), nutrition for both
- if
the young ladies were taught the basics of meal planning, shopping, preparing
simple meals, etc. How to iron. How to mend. How to nurture. Etc.
Just a thought.
Sandy