homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 12:07:26 EST

> For some people just trying a new
> pattern of cooking and grocery buying can cause the
> same apprehension.

The fulcrum of the matter, the can of tomatoes at the bottom of the pyramid
whose removal topples the stack, the twig whose removal looses the log jamb
is
this: (says I) The notion that our circumstances are by chance, fate, what
"they" did to us, bad luck rather than our decisions and actions.

Those in good health who sit on a mortgage free farmstead and can live off a
mason jar of quarters for a month are told that they are just "lucky". In
the
mindset to which I allude the difference between those living an independent
life of their druthers and those hopelessly trapped in a cycle of poverty and
dependence is simply a roll of the dice.

Only when that notion is dislodged is there any hope of improving the lot of
the dependent. It isn't, as you will hear suggested, blaming the downtrodden
for their lot. It's more like pointing out that to relieve the terrible pain
in one's toe one should first stop hitting one's toe with a hammer.