homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:38:46 -0600

I think our opinion is not politically correct though,
James, so I think we can expect some heat on this one.

To hell with politically correct. Correct by whose standards? I do what is correct by my standards.

I can't read the Christian bible so don't know if it is true, but I have been told that in that bible it says the poor will always be with us and supposedly that verse means that having a percentage of the population be poor is a normal condition so don't sweat it. I suppose that might be adequate rationalization for those who insist that poor, homeless, starving women carry a fetus to term and then provide nothing for the child to become a successful human being, but I find that mindset to be disgusting.

I brought up the subject of parental quality because I believe that average people can be well-fed, productive citizens if they have one thing: a strong, positive self image. Children don't get that from nothing. It comes from either parental conditioning or it comes from achievement. Bev's young friend, Amber, is an example. She apparently must have done something that made her feel she had worth and she is building on that. I think she deserves our help.