homestead - Re: [Homestead] Article From Bev

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Article From Bev
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:44:45 -0800

Well, if he loves potatoes, like his mum, then get him a plastic garbage can and tell him about the "fill as it grows" method and he can have potatoes on a little over a square foot!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tracy J" <tracy9j AT frontiernet.net>

This was a good read. I remember back in the 70's when I first started
working on biointensive methods. I had no big tools so I had to make my
garden with a little spade and my hands. In 2 years, I was growing an awful
lot of tomatoes, cukes, peppers, etc. No potatoes, which really bummed me
out. I LOVED potatoes. My kid now lives in a trailer park and has almost
no yard and was really wanting to atart a veggie garden. I gave him
"Square Foot Gardening " for his birthday this year and he's really excited
about it. He had no idea you could grow so much in such a small area. I
guess he never realized how much food was coming out of the little gardens
when he was growing up. Anyway, the book is still in print and still is a
great starting point.

Tracy Julian
in East North-Central Minnesota