homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:56:06 -0800 (PST)

--- Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

> Where each of us stands today is almost entirely the
> result, the combined
> result, of all the decisions we have made in our
> lives. Getting to some other
> place will be the result of all the decisions we
> make from here on out.
ime I am in line behind three buggies piled
> high with things I cannot
> afford to buy and the score is paid with that
> plastic card with the American
> flag.

This is a very important point how many things
influence the decisions that we do make.

Likewise we need to remember that it takes a lot more
than just being told that doing things "this" way will
solve your problem. I'm sure that a lot of people
hear our suggestions, but to them it just another
thing "they" say.

A lot of things are needed if they are to accept our
suggestions. Would we feel the way we do if we had
never known anyone who lived a self sufficient
lifestyle, if we had not been raised by people who
take pride in taking care of themselves.

Knowing about this doesn't mean that you have the
confidence it can happen. Example I know that I could
have done well with my own business but I couldn't
shake the fear that failure might have set me back
financially. For some people just trying a new
pattern of cooking and grocery buying can cause the
same apprehension.

I'm not saying all of this to excuse everyone
behavior, or to suggest that we should not try to
encourage responsibility, just to remember that it is
not always as simple as it seems it should be.

Van Dell