homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:49:25 -0600

Where each of us stands today is almost entirely the result, the combined
result, of all the decisions we have made in our lives. Getting to some other place will be the result of all the decisions we make from here on out.

Most of this post is sound, but it is incomplete. The decisions one makes most certainly cause results and further decisions needing to be made, further results, ad infinitum. But to understand a person we must go back to first decisions. Earliest decisions were made based on existing conditions and knowledge and desire. A decision made based on affluent conditions with strong, positive parental guidance and with a strong base of sound values will be a different decision than one based on squalid conditions, stupid parents and a value system based on easiest survival. Hence the need to "break the cycle" of living on welfare. If no other conditions are known to the decision maker, then decisions will be predictably bad.