homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Mexicans question

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Mexicans question
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:25:47 -0600

On 11/13/06, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:
At 11/13/2006, you wrote:
>The California governor is on an economic junket to Mexico. Among
>other items, he is lamenting the crops rotting in California fields
>due to lack of labor.

A few dozen posts back I mentioned lack of labor. I wasn't thinking
about vegetables rotting in the fields -- the E. coli scare explains
that, unfortunately. Rather, a month or two ago I read about a fruit
product that had failed for the last umteen years finally producing a
bumper crop. It was in California. May have been pears.

At any rate, here were these farmers with fruit falling off the trees
and rotting and they couldn't get fruit pickers. It was an isolated
and sad case.

In southerrn Illinois, the peach growers lose so many crops that one
wonders (1) why they hang on and (2) how they can afford it. I can't
imagine the sadness of having a bumper crop after years of nothing and
having no one to pick it.

I'm sure that the Terminator hasn't a clue about agriculture, but then
neither do most Californians.

Marie